[Haskell-cafe] The Yampa Arcade: source code available?

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Wed Nov 21 12:58:23 EST 2007

That's very nice to hear!

-----Original Message-----
From: haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org
[mailto:haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Paul L
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:11 PM
To: Haskell-Cafe
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] The Yampa Arcade: source code available?

Just to echo back to the question whether Yampa/AFRP is still being
developed, the answer is YES. We are working on an updated version at
Yale.

But really, we have many choices of doing reactive programming, and
AFRP is only one of them. And even for AFRP, there are many choices of
combinators and event switch constructs. There is still more research
work to be done before we can settle on the interface for next
version.

I agree that more examples in the line of Space Invaders will serve
the purpose of not only illustrating the capability, but also as
tutorials to get people started. We'll first clean up existing code
and bring it up to date, from which hopefully more examples could be
developed.

--
Regards,
Paul Liu

Yale Haskell Group
http://www.haskell.org/yale

On 11/20/07, Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be> wrote:

>  Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunatly the Space Invaders game uses HGL,
> which is not supported on Windows anymore. Is it supported on Linux?
>
>  Frag does compile and run on Windows using GHC 6.6.1, so that might be a
> better starting point.
>
>  What is the current consensus regarding (A)FRP? Is it a dead end? Are
> approaches like Modelica better suited for the job?
>
>  >From the point of view of a veteran assembly/C++ game hacker like
myself,
> it is funny to see that the same problems popup when doing "reactive
> programming" in a pure language like Haskell or an imperative language
like
> C++... Recursive dependencies are problematic, be it with signals in FRP
or
> with objects in C++. In videogames using an imperative language, this is
> often solved by just adding a global "single frame" delay between what is
> read and what is written. Ugly, but works in many cases. Or a third object
> is introduced that breaks the recursive dependency between the two
> problematic objects. If I'm correct, when switching from FRP to AFRP
signals
> (type Signal a = Time -> a) are no first class values anymore, only signal
> functions (type SF a b = Signal a -> Signal b) are first class.
Furthermore
> the handling of recursive dependencies/feedback is done solely in a loop
> arrow.
>
>  I must say it is frustratring. I finally got to understand FRP from the
SOE