[Haskell-cafe] Re: Over-allocation

Gracjan Polak gracjanpolak at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 08:59:09 EST 2007

Stefan O'Rear <stefanor <at> cox.net> writes:

> Note that heap profiling is even more a black art than time profiling;
> you may need to do a lot of experimentation to find an enlightening
> profile.

Black art indeed... I did -hc, looked at the postscript generated from every
angle I could and it looks like this:

    /|    /|    /|
   / |   / |   / |
  /  |  /  |  /  |

This is only xparse, other functions are unimportant and aren't even visible on
the graph.

My xparse allocates a lot of memory which is then almost all freed at the very
next occasion by GC. Seems I do not have space leaks.

The problem is that my prog allocates a lot just to free it immediatelly after.
But what?

--
Gracjan