[Haskell-cafe] [Offtopic?] Cabal package license and copyright holder question

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 08:31:26 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 12:58 +0100, Alfonso Acosta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place to ask but, since it's somehow
> Haskell-related I decided to use haskell-cafe.
>
> I'm cabalizing a library which, apart from my own code, has code taken
> from others. As it could be expected, each piece has its own copyright
> holder and (slightly) different license.
>
> The concrete holder and licenses are clearly annotated in every
> module. But, even with that, I'm not sure if I'm entitled to set an
> overall copyright holder and license for the whole cabal package. So,
> right now, I'm not sure about what license and holder filelds should I
> set in my .cabal file.

The copyright field is free-form so you can list all the copyright
holders. You can use multiple lines. See for example:
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/bytestring/0.9.0.1/bytestring.cabal

Then for the license, use Other and specify a license file with all the
appropriate license included in it, or refer to the license files of the
various bits.

Duncan