[Haskell-cafe] A small question

Jeremy O'Donoghue jeremy.odonoghue at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 06:16:51 EST 2007

On 16/11/2007, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> > On Nov 15, 2007 6:56 PM, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I notice that in GHC 6.8.1, if I compile a runnably program, as well as
> >> generating foo.exe, GHC now also generates a file foo.exe.manifest,
> >> which appears to contain some kind of XML data. Anybody know anything
> >> about this mysterious file?
> >>

> > I think it's a Windows Vista Manifest (used to let the OS know what
> > user privileges are required to run the application).
> >

> Ah, right. That makes sense...

Not just Windows Vista. Applications and DLLs compiled with Visual
Studio 2005 (Express or full version) seem to need it to run on XP as
well.

Basically it contains a list of *exactly* which libraries were used to
link the application, as well as permissions. It's alleged to
eliminate DLL hell (which it does by replacing it with Manifest hell).