[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tetris

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:09:27 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 4:14 PM, Radosław Grzanka <radoslawg at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/11/20, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>:
>
> > On Nov 20, 2007 10:41 AM, nick ralabate <ralabate2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Speaking of Tetris and Space Invaders, you might be interested in this project:
> > >
> > > http://www.geocities.jp/takascience/haskell/monadius_en.html
> > >
> > > It's a clone of Gradius written in Haskell.
> > >

> > > -Nick
> >
> > It's a fun enough game under Wine, but has anyone managed to get it to
> > compile under Linux? I tried but couldn't, and the associated makefile
> > seems to be very Windows-specific.
>
> I have prepare quick patch that removes audio from Monadius so it
> compiles on Linux and is playable (this is quick and dirty patch).
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Radek.

That patch works fine for me. I am actually very grateful you sent
that because I had just started trying to do the same thing. :)

It's a pretty fun game, I think, and not at all what people think when
they think of Haskell programs. I think it'd be good to fix it up and
make it portable so that way Hackage can add a Game category. Right
now I'm looking at lemmih's SDL-mixer binding
<http://darcs.haskell.org/~lemmih/hsSDL/hssdl-mixer> to see if I can
hack something up, but if anyone else wants to do it or has any
suggestions, they're more than welcome.

On a side-note, if anyone was seeing any initialization crashes while
trying out the Shu-thing game, try adding a call to
'getArgsAndInitialize' in main; worked for me.

--
gwern