[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 19 16:22:03 EST 2007

Don Stewart wrote:
> andrewcoppin:
>
>> Hackage seems like a nice idea in principle. However,
>>

> I think in practice too: we had no central lib archive or dependency
> system, now we have 400 libraries, and a package installer, 10 months
> later.

Hackage is that new??

>> - The packages seem to be of quite variable quality. Some are excellent,
>> some are rather poor (or just not maintained any more).
>>

>  1. Welcome to the internet.

Well, yeah, I guess. ;-)

As others have suggested, maybe a rating system or space for comments or
something... [all very easy for the person who doesn't have to implement
it.]

>> - (And, since I'm on Windows, I can't seem to get anything to install
>> with Cabal...)
>>

>  3. Report a bug. We need more developers on windows, for window to
>  improve.

Where is the correct place for Cabal bugs?

(And presumably "it doesn't work" wouldn't be a very helpful bug report.
How about something more like my email just now regarding how to get the
new Stream Fusion library built on Windows? Is that useful data to have?)

Who's actually responsible for Cabal? Is it the GHC guys, or someone
else entirely?

(I still don't have a really clear idea of what Cabal does. When I give
people Haskell code, they just compile it and use it. I'm not sure
exactly what functionallity Cabal is supposed to add to the equation.)