[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

Thomas Hartman thomas.hartman at db.com
Mon Nov 19 14:28:03 EST 2007

Batteries included, I could take it or leave it.

Where I think hackage could really benefit from copying perl strategy is
automated testing of *all* packages under hackage darcs, not just blessed
packages.

If this could be integrated into the buildbot of whatever ghc is under
development that would be great. You would then have status reports on ghc
itself, ghc plus extralibs (which the haskell core maintainers feel some
degree of responsibility for), and "hackage universe" which the core
people aren't responsible for, but the haskell community benefits from
feedback. Better yet would be feedback per ghc version, and per platform
(ubuntu, red hat, windows, on and on, whoever volunteers a test box for
the buildbot)

For example, I just found out, it seems that HDBC-ODBC is broken on
windows for ghc-6.8. It would be great to know this in advance before
trying to use it. Package maintainers could get automated emails too if
they want.

testing could be as basic as cabal install runs without errors, but could
also include additional quickcheck tests or other types of test harness.

That would be nice for the community and the core devs, I think.

thomas.

"Justin Bailey" <jgbailey at gmail.com>
Sent by: haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org
11/19/2007 02:08 PM

"brad clawsie" <clawsie at fastmail.fm>
cc
haskell-cafe at haskell.org
Subject
Re: [Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

On Nov 19, 2007 10:25 AM, brad clawsie <clawsie at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> so far the haskell community has taken the cpan route for most
> practical libs but i wonder if a "batteries included" approach might
> help get some key libraries to a more complete state. in particular, i
> would like to see support for basic internet protocols, database
> connectivity, and potentially xml parser support rolled into the ghc
> standard libs. there is always a strong debate on where the line is

I agree strongly. I particularly miss a "standard" HTTP library.

Justin

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.