[Haskell-cafe] Small optimisation question

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Sat Nov 17 14:54:54 EST 2007

Stefan O'Rear writes:

> Jake McArthur wrote:
>> On Nov 17, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Stefan O'Rear wrote:

>>> The STG-machine was brilliant when it was designed, but times have
>>> changed.  ... really the
>>> air is ripe for a new abstract machine.
>>
>> Do you know of any candidates?
> Hahaha - no.
> (Do ask John Meacham though - he keeps *saying* he has a new AM...)
> Stefan

I think that many people work on that, and the STG creators in particular.
SPJ regularly emits some papers on parallelisation. If I am not mistaken,
the paper of both Simons and Tim Harris, about Haskell on a shared memory
multiprocessor, has more than two years.

Some people speculate about making Haskell on the Clean G-machine, others
think about Java-like architectures... The world *IS* steadily progressing,
no need to hahaha-dynamite an open door saying that "the air is ripe...".

Jerzy Karczmarczuk