[Haskell-cafe] RFC: demanding lazy instances of Data.Binary

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:22:43 EST 2007

I've noticed a few posts on the cafe, including my own experience,
where the spine-strictness of the Binary instance for lists caused
some confusion. I'd like to suggest an approach to preventing this
confusion in the future, or at least making it easier to resolve.

Having decided that it is indeed appropriate for some standard
instances to be strict by default [1], I think it would be beneficial
to standardize an approach for expressing that a lazy instance is
expected. I propose the following newtype be added to Data.Binary. A
demonstration immediately follows.

> newtype Lazily a = Lazily { unLazily :: a }

> -- example instance
> instance Binary a => Binary (Lazily [a]) where
>     -- lazy get and put

Now

> [1..] = (unLazily . decode . encode . Lazily) [1..]

instead of

> _|_ = (decode . encode) [1..]

This email is a request for comments on this concept. I think it is a
minimal way of expressing the intent that the serialisation be lazy
[2]. Please share any concerns or suggestions. I'll submit a patch
once the discussion is complete... or if it becomes inactive ;)

Thanks for your time,
Nick

1 - One solution is to make all standard Binary instances lazy
wherever possible, but I presume that in most cases it's not needed
and the compactness gained through default strictness (such as the []
instance) is quite significant.

2 - A more involved option is to recognize that serialisation always
maps to a sequence, and so create another standard data type and
class.

> data Chunks a = Empty | Chunk !a (Chunks a) -- a la lazy bytestrings

> instance Binary a => Binary (Chunks a) where
>   -- lazy put and get

> class Chunky a chunk | a -> chunk where
>   toChunks :: a -> Chunks chunk
>   fromChunks :: Chunks chunk -> a

All of this machinery, however, may prematurely emphasize
problem-specific concerns. Thus it obfuscates the point: we just want
sufficient laziness. Whatever ends up happening, the Chunks data type
may be a route so common for Lazily instances that it makes sense to
provide it in a library (?
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/strict-0.2).