[Haskell-cafe] dropSpace not exported in ByteString

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 16 06:43:05 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 21:55 -0500, Olivier Boudry wrote:

> By the way, what's the reason dropSpaceEnd is defined but not exported
> nor used through a rule? I'm just curious.

We decided when trying to standardise the API to start with just the
equivalents of the Data.List functions. We have tracked changes to
Data.List, adding intercalate and isInfixOf.

If there is a compelling reason to add dropSpaceEnd to the
Data.ByteString API then the same would probably apply to Data.List and
so it should be proposed for there and then Data.ByteString will track
it too.

Alternatively, someone should make the case for why it should be added
to bytestring but not list. There is probably room for more string
oriented list functions in some library somewhere (especially crazy
Unicode stuff), like Data.String.

Duncan