[Haskell-cafe] Re: Weird ghci behaviour?

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 07:16:04 EST 2007

Simon Marlow wrote:
> The only problem with this is that someone who isn't aware of this
> convention might accidentally be ignoring compiled code, or might wonder
> why their compiled code isn't being used.  Well, perhaps this is less
> confusing than the current behaviour; personally I find the current
> behaviour consistent and easy to understand, but I guess I'm in the
> minority!

Anecdotes have little value, but for what it's worth: in around 5 years
of ghc use, I have never, not even once, wanted to load the module I was
working on in its compiled form. I've occasionally noticed that
dependent modules get loaded quickly from their .o's and thought that
was handy, but that's all. During that time I have many times been
annoyed that a .hs file which I load from the command line or via :load
(or via C-c C-l in emacs mode) get loaded in interpreted form :)

Jules