[Haskell-cafe] Somewhat random history question

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Mon Nov 12 15:30:14 EST 2007

No worries.
I read the History of Haskell paper twice, but not the final version, I guess.

As far as I remember you started the bootstrapping with the ghc built
on the LML compiler.  But as hbc became available it was soon more
reliable and produced better code, so you switched to that until the
new ghc could compile itself.  That's how I remember it.

There's also a bunch of Prelude related code in the ghc libraries that
originates with hbc.  I've been to lazy to send any "bug" reports
about this.
(Just to get a line of attribution.)

  -- Lennart