[Haskell-cafe] Somewhat random history question - chicken and egg

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Nov 12 07:37:12 EST 2007

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, ajb at spamcop.net wrote:

> To be a true COBOL replacement, I think that one very important feature
> is that it is link-compatible with existing COBOL code.  You're never
> going to be able to replace a 6MLOC COBOL monster in any manner other
> than piecemeal.

AFAIK people are replacing code by writing other applications that
manipulate the same data as the legacy code but do not link with it. I
should ask my wife more about the structure of Peoplesoft. I know it's a
mixture of COBOL, PL/SQL, and Peoplecode on the server, and Java on the
client... No Haskell in it, though.

Tony.
WEST FAIR ISLE FAEROES SOUTHEAST ICELAND: SOUTHERLY VEERING NORTHWESTERLY 5 TO
7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8 IN FAEROES AND SOUTHEAST ICELAND. ROUGH OR VERY ROUGH.
RAIN OR SHOWERS. MODERATE OR GOOD.