[Haskell-cafe] Sinus in Haskell

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Sat Nov 10 05:40:20 EST 2007

Brent Yorgey wrote:

> More generally, this is due to the fact that floating-point numbers can
> only have finite precision, so a little bit of rounding error is
> inevitable when dealing with irrational numbers like pi.   This problem
> is in no way specific to Haskell.

But some systems always display to a slightly lower precision than they
calculate. Some pocket calculators work like this, and I suspect some
programming languages might. You can conceal the first few instances of
rounding errors this way (until they get a bit bigger and punch through
your reduced precision).

Jules