[Haskell-cafe] Re: MD5?

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 10 03:07:19 EST 2007

Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> > The final alternative is that I just call MD5SUM.EXE from my Haskell
> > program and try to parse the output. But that strikes me as rather messy.
>
> Messy, but I don't see any disadvantage to doing it this way - if you
> can control that the MD5SUM program is installed alongside your code.
>
> Of course, there is the standard Crypto library for Haskell,
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/Crypto-3.0.3
> - either:
>
> 1) it goes fast enough
> 2) it goes too slow and someone should make it go faster
>
> Either way, it should go fast enough as soon as someone needs it to go faster.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

Of course the code in the Crypto library isn't fast enough.

I maintain the package but at the moment I don't have any time to do anything
with it. If anyone wants to send me patches, I will happily apply them. I did
have a quick look a Thomas DuBuisson's code and it looks like a change to the
API. If there is going to be change to this then I think it ought to go via the
libraries change process.

I recall that someone improved the performance of SHA-1 as well but again I
haven't had time to do anything with it.

If anyone wants to take over the care and nurture of the Crypto library then
they are most welcome and I would be very grateful.

Dominic.