[Haskell-cafe] WideFinder

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 22:51:31 EST 2007

I hacked together a version that I'm pretty happy with today. Started
off trying an algorithm with channels and forking, then realized that
in Haskell thanks to referential transparency we can get parallelism
almost for free, and redid it all in Control.Parallel (below).
Unfortunately, I don't have a multicore processor so I can't put this
through any special paces. However, its compactness and expressively
match or beat the simple Ruby, etc. scripts while it gets
(theoretically) most of the parallel benefits of the enormous and
unwieldy Erlang and JOcaml ones.

--S

module Main where
import qualified Data.ByteString.Lazy.Char8 as LB
import Data.List (foldl', unfoldr, insertBy)
import qualified Data.Map as M
import System.Environment (getArgs)
import Control.Parallel (par)
import Control.Parallel.Strategies (parMap, rwhnf)

count :: M.Map LB.ByteString Int -> LB.ByteString -> M.Map
LB.ByteString Int
count m line = if LB.pack "/ongoing/When" `LB.isPrefixOf` myLn then
M.insertWith' (+) (LB.drop 14 myLn) 1 m else m
     where myLn = (LB.takeWhile (/=' ') . LB.dropWhile (/='/') .
LB.dropWhile (/='\"')) line

mapUnionPar :: (Ord k, Num a) => [M.Map k a] -> M.Map k a
mapUnionPar m = head $ until (null . tail) mapUnionPar' m
     where a |:| b = par a . par b $ a : b
           mapUnionPar' (x:x':xs) = (M.unionWith (+) x x' |:|
mapUnionPar' xs)
           mapUnionPar' x = x

newPar :: FilePath -> IO (M.Map LB.ByteString Int)
newPar = ((mapUnionPar . parMap rwhnf (foldl' count M.empty) .
chunkify . LB.lines) `fmap`) . LB.readFile
     where chunkify = unfoldr (\x -> if null x then Nothing else Just
(splitAt 512 x))

main = mapM_ ((print . fst . foldl' takeTop ([],[]) . M.toList =<<) .
newPar) =<< getArgs
     where takeTop ac@(bs,low) a = if null low || (snd . head) low <
snd a then (splitAt 10 . insertBy ((. snd) . flip compare . snd) a)
bs else ac