[Haskell-cafe] Haskell performance question

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:34:50 EST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 12:16 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> If you can post the code somewhere, that would be great, with examples
> of how to reproduce your timings.

The code is exactly what I posted originally (but nore that n is 10
times larger in the C code). I compiled using ghc -O3 -o test test.hs.
I timed the resulting executable with unix 'time'. I think I used the
tiger Intel binary here:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_661.html (ghc --version
reports only "The Glorious...verison 6.6.1", file
~/lib/ghc-6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1 reports "Mach-O executable i386".) This was
all run on a 2.4GHz MacBook Pro with Leopard and 2Gb RAM. Anything
else you need?

I was investigating the plausibility of implementing something like a
fluid dynamics solver completely in Haskell. I have some working C
code so I thought I'd port it. But only if there's a chance of it
being within a factor of 2 or 3 of the original speed.
--
Dan