[Haskell-cafe] FP design

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Wed Nov 7 14:26:20 EST 2007

I have been working on a little Java project lately at work, by way
of an introduction to the language, and naturally I often have cause
to regret that it isn't Haskell instead.

But in the specific matter I'm wrestling with, the Java library's OOP
model is, to its credit, allowing me to do some things.  I'm using their
standard LDAP client library, but swapping in my own function to read
X509 certificates for the SSL.  Actually, swapping in my own SSL socket
"implementation", which in my case just calls the standard library SSL
socket implementation to do most of the work.

Now it's not like I can't imagine it working better - it may be a little
fragile, for one thing - but I have wondered what facilities a Haskell
design could have drawn on to de-couple implementation components like that.
Let's say you download an IMAP mail client library, and look to see if it
can operate on a UNIX pipe;  on an SSL socket;  authenticate with GSSAPI
Kerberos 5  -- when none of those things are supported out of the box.
(As I have needed, and done, all three of those with the standard Python
IMAP library module.)  You may also want its I/O operations to integrate
with some dispatching core, for a GUI.  But of course you also want the
basic interface to be simple in this area - the IMAP protocol itself is
complicated enough!

So I'm the one user in a thousand that will want to provide my own I/O
functions, for example.  In the old world, I guess I would be looking
for some extended API where my I/O functions are parameters to the "open"
or "init" function, and the IMAP functions take over from there.  In a
more pure functional oriented model, could it be an extended API that
exposes the IMAP functionality as operations on data, and leaves it to
me to deal with the I/O?

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com