[Haskell-cafe] Best Linux for Haskell?

Brian P. O'Hanlon brianpo at cmu.edu
Tue Nov 6 14:13:21 EST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 2:04 PM, Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be> wrote:

> Each year I give Linux a try. And usually I kick it off my harddrive after a
> month, and stick to Windows. However, it does get better each year, so…

I have not used Windows since 98, but I am going to make the bigoted,
biased remark that Windows gets worse every year, so...

> So which kind Linux works best for running GHC (6.8.1) and related tools? (I
> want to give Yi a go, I can't get it to work on Windows). Debian? Fedora?
> Ubuntu?

I would recommend Fedora, probably, since a lot of the binary builds
seem to be done on Red Hat and Fedora machines, and it has been my
experience that it is quite new user friendly and its repositories
seemed up-to-date.  Installing and updating software is slow, though,
relatively speaking.
Ubuntu seems to be doing well, though, and a lot of new Linux converts
as well as users who have been using it for a while seem to like it a
lot, though, and since it is based on Debian's software management
system, software maintenance is second to none.  They do seem to lag a
little more with current software, though.

As for me, I use FreeBSD primarily, and when I use Linux, it is Debian.

Good luck; I hope that you find Linux to be comfortable and useful.

> This is most likely a very stupid question, but please understand I'm a
> Windows user, so I'm supposed to be stupid J

For a stupid question, it has certainly started many a flame war and
heated argument, and people still disagree greatly on it, so I would
not consider it such.  The next question you should ask is which text
editor to use...
-Brian