[Haskell-cafe] package maintainers: updating your packages to work with GHC 6.8.1

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 5 16:09:25 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 07:55 -0800, brad clawsie wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:35:11AM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > By the way, if you have several common deps it's perfectly ok to factor
> > them out like this:
> >
> > Flag splitBase
> >
> > Library
> >   Build-Depends: network, HTTP, HTTP-Simple, MissingH, time>=1.1.1
> >
> >   if flag(splitBase)
> >     Build-Depends: base >= 3, containers
> >   else
> >     Build-Depends: base < 3
>

> these look suspiciously like the deps to my own module that i uploaded
> last night to be in compliance for 6.8.1!

Yep :-)

Who needs a release announcement when there's the hackage RSS feed?

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/recent.rss

>  thanks for cleaning it up duncan and in the future i will follow this
> example.

> a slight aside - why are .cabal files not "in haskell"?

It's a slightly long story, but basically not being turing complete
means the description can be read and interpreted according to context,
not just executed. Afterall, we don't just want to install packages, we
also want to translate them into native packages.

Duncan