[Haskell-cafe] package maintainers: updating your packages to work with GHC 6.8.1

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Nov 5 06:47:47 EST 2007

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> By the way, if you have several common deps it's perfectly ok to factor
> them out like this:
>
> Flag splitBase
>
> Library
>   Build-Depends: network, HTTP, HTTP-Simple, MissingH, time>=1.1.1
>
>   if flag(splitBase)
>     Build-Depends: base >= 3, containers
>   else
>     Build-Depends: base < 3
>

> In a future version of Cabal we might have this nicer syntax:
>
> Library
>   Build-Depends: base, network, HTTP ,HTTP-Simple, MissingH, time>=1.1.1
>
>   if package(base >= 3)
>     Build-Depends: containers

When Cabal development started I suggested to use Haskell code as
configuration file, because there will be much extensions and the package
description will not fit into a simple syntax soon. This suggestion was
rejected because the Package description should be readable by an IDE.
With the flags and package version comparison we move quickly to a Turing
complete scripting language in form of a package description. :-) Btw.
does the Setup.hs script still serves a purpose?