[Haskell-cafe] Re: torrent for 6.8.1?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 07:37:42 EST 2007

Hi

> > The binaries are ~47MiB apiece. I suspect that almost everyone on
> > Windows and Linux x86 will want the binaries too, since compiling GHC
> > tends to take a while. Anyway, it seems like haskell.org is becoming
> > more responsive now, but it would be something to keep in mind for the
> > future.
>
> and don't forget that haskell.org box serves not only ghc downloading
> and even not only haskell site
>
> i propose: in a few first days after release, make available only
> alternative download places (SoundForge, BitTorrent...) and then, when
> first wave of downloads shrinks, make direct links. also, hackage
> server may be a better place for storing such popular downloads?

That sounds like a great last resort if the server is about to die. As
it stands, I don't think its necessary - so it would be annoying but
not particularly useful. Also I would much rather a direct link to a
bitorrent, and certainly at my University I wouldn't have access to
the torrent ports.

Thanks

Neil