[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 23:04:53 EDT 2007

--- Greg Fitzgerald <garious at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> while LOC is not perfect, gzip is worse.
> > the gzip change didn't significantly alter the rankings
>
> Currently the gzip ratio of C++ to Python is 2.0, which at a glance,
> wouldn't sell me on a "less code" argument.

a) you're looking at an average, instead try

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=python&lang2=gpp

b) we're not trying to sell you on a "less code" argument - it's
whatever it is

> Although the rank stayed the
> same, did the change reduce the magnitude of the victory?

c) that will have varied program to program, and do you care which way
"the magnitude of victory" moved or do you care that where it moved to
makes more sense?

For fun, 2 meteor-contest programs, ratios to the python-2 program
             LOC      GZ      WC
ghc-3       0.98    1.40    1.51
gpp-4       3.76    4.14    4.22

Look at the python-2 and ghc-3 source and tell us if LOC gave a
reasonable indication of relative program size - is ghc-3 really the
smaller program? :-)

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=meteor&lang=all&sort=gz