[Haskell-cafe] The question of ByteString

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 2 18:49:34 EDT 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 17:35 , Andrew Coppin wrote:

> These are the things I'm thinking about. Is there some deep
> theoretical reason why things are the way they are? Or is it merely
> that nobody has yet had time to make something better? ByteString
> solves the problem of text strings (and raw binary data) very
> nicely, it's just a pitty we can't apply some of that know-how more
> widely...

I'm under the impression that several of the things that make
ByteString faster (e.g. smarter fusion) are either implemented within
(newer) GHC already, such that other list-like types can take
advantage of them directly, or being worked on as part of a new
Data.Stream module that anyone can use with their own types instead
of simple lists.  So in the long run it *won't* just be ByteString;
that's just what's driving the development.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu