[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 15:03:10 EDT 2007

Ketil Malde wrote:

> [LOC vs gz as a program complexity metric]

Do either of those make sense as a "program /complexity/ metric"?

Seems to me that's reading a lot more into those measurements than we
should.

It's slightly interesting that, while we're happily opining about LOCs
and gz, no one has even tried to show that switching from LOCs to gz
made a big difference in those "program bulk" rankings, or even
provided a specific example that they feel shows how gz is
misrepresentative - all opinion, no data.

(Incidentally LOC measures source code "shape" as much as anything else
- programs in statement heavy languages tend to be longer and thinner,
and expression heavy languages tend to be shorter and wider.)