[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hiding side effects in a data structure

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:53:48 EDT 2007

On 21/10/2007, Jon Fairbairn <jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> No, they (or at least links to them) typically are that bad!
> Mind you, as far as fragment identification is concerned, so
> are a lot of html pages.  But even if the links do have
> fragment ids, pdfs still impose a significant overhead: I
> don't want stuff swapped out just so that I can run a pdf
> viewer; a web browser uses up enough resources as it is. And
> will Hoogle link into pdfs?

Swapped out!? What PDF viewer are you running on what machine?
Currently, with a 552 page book open (Hatcher's algebraic topology),
my PDF viewer (Evince) uses about 36MiB, which is around 3.6% of my
available memory, a rather pedestrian 1 GiB.  Other documents produce
very similar results. The largest I was able to make it with a PDF
which wasn't pathologically constructed was about 42MiB, with a PDF
that had lots of diagrams. Firefox uses about twice that on an average
day. If your PDF viewer uses significantly more than that, I recommend
looking for a new one. ;)

 - Cale