[Haskell-cafe] Regex API ideas

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Thu Nov 1 14:34:04 EDT 2007

ChrisK wrote:

>> The Haskell regexp libraries actually give us something of a leg down
>> with respect to Python and Perl.
>
> True, the pure Haskell library is not as fast as a C library.

Actually, I wasn't referring to the performance of the libraries, merely
to the non-stick nature of the API.  For my purposes, regex-pcre
performs well (though I owe you some patches to make it, and other regex
back ends, compile successfully out of the box).

> But more interesting to me is learning what API you would like to see.
> What would you like the code that uses the API to be?

Python's regexp API is pretty easy to use, and also to remember.  Here's
what it does for match objects.

http://docs.python.org/lib/match-objects.html

	<b