[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Rodrigo Queiro overdrigzed at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 05:09:15 EDT 2007

I assume the reason the switched away from LOC is to prevent
programmers artificially reducing their LOC count, e.g. by using
a = 5; b = 6;
rather than
a = 5;
b = 6;

in languages where newlines aren't syntactically significant. When
gzipped, I guess that the ";\n" string will be represented about as
efficiently as just the single semi-colon.