[Haskell-cafe] Monads and constraint satisfaction problems (CSP)

Greg Meredith lgreg.meredith at biosimilarity.com
Thu May 31 13:42:57 EDT 2007

All,

All this talk about Mathematica and a reference to monadic treatments of
backtracking reminded me that a year ago i was involved in work on a
Mathematica-like widget. At the time i noticed that a good deal of the
structure underlying LP, SAT and other solvers was terribly reminiscent of
comprehension-style monadic structure. i think i asked Erik Meijer if he
knew of any work done on this and posted to LtU, but nobody seemed to have
understood what i was mumbling about. So, let me try here: does anybody know
of references for a monadic treatment of constraint satisfaction?

BTW, i think this could have a lot of bang-for-buck because the literature i
read exhibited two basic features:

   - the "standard" treatments (even by CS-types) are decidedly not
   compositional
   - the people in the field who face industrial strength csp problems
   report that they have to take compositional approaches because the problems
   are just too large otherwise (both from a human engineering problem as well
   as a computational complexity problem)

Best wishes,

--greg

--