[Haskell-cafe] Crazy idea: overloading function application notation

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Wed May 30 22:05:42 EDT 2007

This is a crazy idea I've been working on: overload the syntax "x y" so it can
mean function application "f x = f(x)" or multiplication "x y = x*y". The
reason is simply that I appreciate the brevity of MLs function application
but I also appreciate the brevity of Mathematica's multiplication.

Is it possible to implement this in Haskell using type classes? Is there any
way this could actually be practicable?

OCaml for Scientists