[Haskell-cafe] Language extensions

Jan-Willem Maessen jmaessen at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 28 16:04:00 EDT 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 7:32 AM, Claus Reinke wrote:

>> I meant to imply more that "it's very difficult to understand why
>> it's useful". If an extension were truely *useless*, I doubt those
>> guys at GHC would have bothered spending years implementing them.
>>
>> Most of the documents that describe these things begin with
>> "suppose we have this extremely complicated and difficult to
>> understand situation... now, we want to do X, but the type system
>> won't let us." Which makes it seem like these extensions are only
>> useful in extremely complicated and rare situations.
>
> keep in mind that paper space is a precious and limited resource. the
> need for extensions tends to arise in practice first, but those
> real examples
> are far too big and complex to fit into those limitations. it is
> very difficult to
> come up with examples that are small enough to fit, yet complex
> enough to
> exhibit the problem. which means that the examples usually look
> artificial,
> but small and complete, or realistic, but so large that their
> presentation
> has to be shallow enough to border on vague.

But I do wonder if we shouldn't declare a moratorium on examples that
involve interpreters for simply-typed languages (which tend to
characterize none of the problems I'm actually trying to solve---and
that includes fiddling with non-simply-typed languages of a similar
sort) in favor of examples which actually perform some sort of a
useful manipulation.

This is why I absolutely LOVE functional pearls of all sorts, by the
way.

-Jan-Willem Maessen