[Haskell-cafe] Language extensions

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon May 28 08:39:50 EDT 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 5:39 , Andrew Coppin wrote:

> I like to think I'm an intelligent, but... maybe I'm just kidding
> myself...

Haskell's good at making people feel stupid.  :)

Just a little background, btw:  I'm no mathie, in fact I have some
problems with math for various reasons.  Nor am I a CS researcher.
I'm a career system administrator who got into computing as a
teenager back when schools didn't offer computing courses and
*certainly* didn't offer CS theory courses.  So I'm pretty close to
the opposite of Haskell's "target audience" --- yet I find it useful
and see productivity gains from using it (modulo the learning curve).

One of the nice things about Haskell is that you don't need to
understand category theory to use monads, or advanced type theory to
use GADTs or rank-N polymorphism.  You *do* need to learn what
they're good for --- but this is really no different than any other
language.  It's just that most other languages don't pack so many
features into so small a space, because they don't have Haskell's
expressiveness; this can be both blessing (you can do in libraries
what other languages have to hardcode into the language) and curse
(wrapping your head around e.g. GADTs or monads).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu