[Haskell-cafe] Language extensions

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon May 28 08:27:06 EDT 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 4:13 , Andrew Coppin wrote:

> Haskell 98 does an excellent job of being extremely simple, yet
> almost unbelievably powerful. Almost every day, I am blown away by
> how powerful it is. I suppose it just defies belief that you could
> possibly need even *more* power than is already in the language...
> and also, as I've mentioned, Haskell being simple is one of the most

*shrug*

Thing is, everything you can do in Haskell you can do in COBOL, as
they're both Turing-complete.  That doesn't mean you *should*....
Features such as GADTs make it easier to express some things that are
harder to express (and harder to read once expressed) in Haskell98;
as such, they are a positive addition to the language.

Which doesn't mean every program has to use them --- I have yet to
write any code using GADTs.  But I know they're there, and (roughly)
how to use them, if I ever do.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu