[Haskell-cafe] New book: Real-World Haskell!

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed May 23 14:58:47 EDT 2007

> The plan is to cover the major techniques used to write serious,
> real-world Haskell code, so that programmers can just get to work in the
> language.

Amen to that! Too many people seem to think Hasekll is some sort of
"pretend language" that is only useful for defining quicksort and other
trivial excersises in CS.

> By the end of the book readers should be able to write real
> libraries and applications in Haskell, and be able to:
>
>     * design data structures
>     * know how to write, and when to use, monads and monad transformers
>     * use Haskells concurrency and parallelism abstractions
>     * be able to write parsers for custom formats in Parsec.
>     * be able to do IO and binary IO of all forms
>     * be able to bind Haskell to foreign functions in C
>     * be able to do database, network and gui programming
>     * know how to do exception and error handling in Haskell
>     * have a good knowledge of the core libraries
>     * be able to use the type system to track and prevent errors
>     * take advantage of tools like QuickCheck, Cabal and Haddock
>     * understand advanced parts of the language, such as GADTs and MPTCs.
>
> That is, you should be able to just write Haskell!

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know half of that stuff was *possible*! o_O

> Heres the proposed chapter outline:

That's a fairly impressive loadout - if it ever happens...

Hope you guys have *a lot* of time to finish all that! ;-)

> You can find more details and updates at the following locations:
>
>     * The web site, http://www.realworldhaskell.org/blog/welcome/
>     * The authors,  http://www.realworldhaskell.org/blog/about/
>     * The blog,     http://www.realworldhaskell.org/blog/

I will be watching this one with some interest...