[Haskell-cafe] Re: Editor

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed May 23 11:21:18 EDT 2007

Ketil Malde wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 10:19 +0200, apfelmus wrote:
>
>> http://www.asktog.com/TOI/toi06KeyboardVMouse1.html
>>
>> It adresses the question whether selecting commands in menus with the
>> mouse or accessing them via keyboard shortcuts is faster. The answer is:
>>
>>  "* Test subjects consistently report that keyboarding is faster than
>>     mousing.
>>   * The stopwatch consistently proves mousing is faster than
>>     keyboarding."
>
> Interesting!  I did a quick test doing search and replace using the
> keyboard and the menus in Emacs.  It takes me about six seconds with the
> keyboard, and closer to ten using the menus.  (The first time, it took
> thirty as I spent time to locate the correct menu options :-)
>
> But I agree with the report that using the mouse *feels* a lot slower.
> Quoting the report: "It takes two seconds to decide upon which
> special-function key to press. Deciding among abstract symbols is a
> high-level cognitive function."
> I'm not so sure I agree, using the mouse feels way more abrupt and
> intrusive.

The question is whether the stopwatch feels the same way :)

> I can do M-x repl TAB str TAB foo RET bar RET with my eyes
> closed¹, but to use the mouse, I need to locate the mouse with my hand,
> locate the mouse cursor, locate the menu, etc etc.

Note that "locate the menu" is indeed something may take more time than
it should. Traditionally, Mac OS features a single menu bar at the top
of the screen as opposed to Windows or GNOME. This is a consious design
choice whose rationale is explained at

   http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

In short, Fitt's Law says that the amount of time to navigate to a
target on screen depends logarithmically on the ratio (size of target /
distance to target). Now, a menu bar at the top of the screen has
effectively infinite target size, you can just throw your mouse pointer
to the top of the screen and be assured that it hits the top edge = the
target. This is much faster than targetting a small menu attached to a
window. And it has the additional side effect that the task "locate the
mouse pointer" can be partially omitted because only the horizontal
position matters if you're going to throw the pointer to the top of the
screen anyway.

Regards,
apfelmus