[Haskell-cafe] Re: Editor

Gabor Greif gabor at mac.com
Tue May 22 18:33:13 EDT 2007

Am 23.05.2007 um 00:20 schrieb Ashley Yakeley:

> I don't suppose you're familiar with the Dylan programming
> language, or more to the point, have looked at the IDE that Apple
> included in their original implementation of the language (around
> 1993 or so)? Characteristic of Apple of that time, the UI was both
> highly innovative and a joy to use. It was based around "browsers",
> where each browser had a "subject" (such as a project, module,
> definition etc.) and an "aspect" (such as "contents of", "errors
> in", "references to", "direct methods of" etc.). Browsers could be
> linked so that the selection in one browser became the subject in
> another. This made it very easy to navigate your project.
>
> All code was stored in a database rather than as text files, and
> individual code definitions were separate objects in the browsers
> rather than pieces of text in a big file.
>
> Info w/ screenshots: <http://osteele.com/museum/apple-dylan>
> <http://wiki.opendylan.org/wiki/view.dsp?title=Apple%20Dylan>
> Needless to say, this goes in rather the opposite UI direction to
> the "Ctrl-M Ctrl-Meta-Z <esc> :edit qx" approach to editors that
> some people prefer.
>
> Dylan's not a bad language, and there are open source
> implementations available for Gnu/Linux. But if you want to check
> out Apple's IDE, you'll really need a 68K Mac, as the PPC version
> is very buggy and I don't think the 68K version will run in PPC.

Michael's blog:

http://snakeratpig.blogspot.com/2007/02/road-to-haskell.html

Dylan and Haskell are very similar in the multiple-dispatch (a
haskeller would call that
pattern matching on several arguments) respect.

Cheers,

	Gabor

PS: Btw, the Apple Dylan IDE works well on PPC if you apply a patch
that was issued by
Digitool shortly after the initial port of the IDE to PPC.