[Haskell-cafe] Ann: Emping 0.2

Hans van Thiel hthiel.char at zonnet.nl
Tue May 22 09:00:59 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 14:06 -0700, Scott Cruzen wrote:
> Is Emping an implementation of C4.5 or something new?
No, it's new. The reduction algorithm is not based on a measure and is
not a search either. It's a construction of predicate combinations,
starting with singletons, that are not contradictory to known facts. The
third step, following hypothesis and then falsification, is verification
with observed rules.
The complexity appears to be  quadratic to the original rule length and
also to the number of original rules, but I have yet to prove this. I
believe I have proved that the algorithm produces the complete and
shortest disjunctive normal form of a logical rule table.
The white paper 'Deriving heuristic rules from facts'
http://j-van-thiel.speedlinq.nl/dwnl/EmpingWP.pdf (21 pages) discusses
the theory from examples, and an earlier wp (also available on the web
site) uses some first order predicate logic and set theory.

Version 0.2 also shows logical dependencies in the reduced rules and
this is just a search in the original rules and in the poset of
reductions. So this is not new in a theoretical sense, though I believe
no other implementation has ever considered such dependencies.

Regards,

Hans van Thiel