[Haskell-cafe] Re: Editor

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Tue May 22 04:28:38 EDT 2007

apfelmus wrote:
> I can't know whether that's the case, but the fact that virtually all
> commands are invoked with the keyboard clashes with HID research reported at
>
>    http://www.asktog.com/TOI/toi06KeyboardVMouse1.html
>
> It adresses the question whether selecting commands in menus with the
> mouse or accessing them via keyboard shortcuts is faster. The answer is:
>
>  "* Test subjects consistently report that keyboarding is faster than
>     mousing.
>   * The stopwatch consistently proves mousing is faster than
>     keyboarding."

The research there is reported as hearsay, it is not referenced
research, so I can't check their methods.

Despite the implicit claim that my brain must be lying to me and causing
amnesia I'm unaware of, I would dispute the claims there. I suspect
there might well be a large body of users (even 'most') for which it's
true. However 'most' people are not fast typists.

I'm sure that I can quite reliably hit the command editor keybindings I
use many, many times faster than if I had to select them from a menu.

Jules