[Haskell-cafe] Haskell: the Craft of Functional Programming

Marc A. Ziegert coeus at gmx.de
Sun May 20 22:12:27 EDT 2007

i don't know where my copy is or who it has, for years.
but i remember one bad thing... either i missread the following (my english was not that good) or it is a bug in the book:

(in the first chapter, i guess)
if you have the function
> sqr x = x*x
then haskell does reduce the term
> sqr (1+2)
first to
> (1+2) * (1+2)
and then to
> 3 * (1+2)

that hurts.

the only thing i still remember to have learnt from that book is the good style of programming, which is very well explained.
("only one" due to my Prelude and other Hugs-Library source reading/studying before.)
well, that alone is worth enough to read that book. even though it is plain old haskell98 without those gorgeous libs and without -fglasgow-exts.

- marc