[Haskell-cafe] Higher order types via the Curry-Howard correspondence

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Sun May 13 14:24:49 EDT 2007

I think both Benja's and David's answers are terrific. Let me just add
a reference.
The person who's given these issues most thought is probably Per
Martin-Löf. If you want to know more about the meaning of local
connectives you should read his "On the Meanings of the Logical
Constants and the Justifications of the Logical Laws" [1]. It consists
of three lectures which I think are quite readable although I can
recommend skipping the first lecture, at least on a first read-through
since it's pretty heavy going.
In the beginning of the third lecture you will find the classic quote:
"the meaning of a proposition is determined by what it is to verify
it, or what counts as a verification of it"
This is essentially what both Benja and David said.

hth,

Josef

[1] http://www.hf.uio.no/ifikk/filosofi/njpl/vol1no1/meaning/meaning.html