[Haskell-cafe] Monad pronounced like gonad?

Mark T.B. Carroll mark at ixod.org
Thu May 10 17:21:25 EDT 2007

Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> writes:
(snip)
> More curiosely, that (>>=) function. Why is the Haskell name for it
> (>>=), and why is it pronounced "bind"? Neither of these choices make a
> lot of sense to me...
(snip)

I don't know the answer, but it seems okay to me because I think of
monads as being about sequenced computation with >> indicating the flow
from return value of one going into the arguments of the next, and the =
indicating that we do bother making a constant equal to that return
value as an argument in the next (it's on the next's side of the >>)
instead of throwing it away. The functions are bound together (hence
'bind') by the >> or >>= as being consecutive steps in the sequence of
the computation we are doing.

-- Mark