[Haskell-cafe] Monad pronounced like gonad?

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Thu May 10 18:40:22 EDT 2007

Dan Piponi wrote:
> A more pressing question. How do you pronounce the following:
>
> ->
In both case expressions and lambdas I would not read this if it could be
decided by context and vocal dynamics (like the way most people pronounce
parenthesized arithmetic expressions), for cases "is" would work nicely.
For -> in types, "to" works well.

> <-
I would read "a <- foo" as "bind a to the value produced by foo"

> []
nil as others have said (and correspondingly, : is cons)

> and countless others...
::, "has type" or "is in"
@ reads as "as"

> I presume \, as in \a -> x, is pronounced 'lambda'.
yes