[Haskell-cafe] built-in lists vs inductively defined list

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 9 15:18:21 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 09:08 -0700, Jason Morton wrote:
> I'd love to understand these rewrite-rules a little better; could
> anyone point me to where (if?) they are documented?

Here's a list of papers on fusion and deforestation:

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Research_papers/Compilation#Fusion_and_deforestation

Specifically you want to read about short-cut fusion and rules. I'd
recommend:

A short cut to deforestation

Shortcut fusion for accumulating parameters and zip-like functions

Playing by the rules: rewriting as a practical optimisation technique in
GHC

Duncan