[Haskell-cafe] The Functional Pearls

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat May 5 12:46:11 EDT 2007

ithika:
> On 05/05/07, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> >I've created a wiki page collecting the 'functional pearl' papers that
> >have appeared in JFP and ICFP and other places over the last 20 odd
> >years.
> >
> >    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Research_papers/Functional_pearls
> >
> >Lots of lovely functional programs there.
> >

> That's wonderful. I only recently found out about them and was blown
> away by the beauty of Richard Bird's sudoku solver. (The slides,
> anyway.) Let's go straight to the intravenous injection of awesome
> programs...
>
> D.

Great. It was an idea that came up in #haskell this morning:

    19:43:28 <geezusfreeek> any good articles/tutorials/whatever about
            how to best go about actually designing a program in haskell (or
            functional languages in general)?

    19:48:09 <geezusfreeek> i have a mostly OO background, and i
            want to avoid tainting my functional prog ramming experience
            with the OO design patterns and habits i have

    19:48:31 <geezusfreeek> and it's already clear to me that most of my
            habits are going to lead me straight to confusion

    19:54:48 <dons> geezusfreeek: possibly some of the functional pearl,
            and design-ish, papers from ICFP would be a good read

    19:55:10 <dons> basically replacing going to oxford or chalmers, and
            having Richard Bird teach you how to think like a lambda :-)

So, what better way to steep yourself in the design cult(ure) of the
lambda, than to go through the pearls. :-)

-- Don