[Haskell-cafe] ANN: FileManip 0.1, an expressive filemanipulationlibrary

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed May 2 11:13:03 EDT 2007

Claus Reinke wrote:

> if i wanted to use that library
> for
> anything i want to distribute, my only chance to avoid the source
> re-distribution
> and advertising clauses would be dynamic linking

I believe that the magical protective properties of dynamic linking
amount to no more than folklore.  So you might not want to bet your
proprietary farm on that distinction without first seeking legal advice.

> the unix dependency - it could be inherent in
> the
> design, or an accident of the author's current platform.

Unfortunately, the standard libraries do not provide portable ways to
check file status.  Much of what's currently in the unix library would
in fact compile and work fine on Windows, and could usefully be moved
from unix to a more portable posix library.

Regarding your soapbox, the FileManip library uses Neil Mitchell's new
filepath library for precisely the purpose of portable file name handling.

	<b