[Haskell-cafe] ANN: FileManip 0.1, an expressive filemanipulationlibrary

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 2 07:04:19 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 12:00 +0100, Claus Reinke wrote:
> >> i'm a fan of find | xargs, so a portable haskell replacement unencumbered
> >> by viral licenses would be very welcome. i have no intention to participate
> >> in yet-another-licencing-discussion, i would just like to ask whether those
> >> limitations of your offering are an accident or intended?
> >
> > http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/FileManip-0.1
> >
> > Apparently it's under the *L*GPL not the GPL, so it's not the "viral"
> > license that you were thinking of perhaps?
>
> no, i browsed the license file before asking my question (no non-restrictive
> license needs to be longer than a page). if i wanted to use that library for
> anything i want to distribute, my only chance to avoid the source re-distribution
> and advertising clauses would be dynamic linking

Ah ok. Well remember that we will be getting dynamic linking in future
and the solution at the moment with static linking is to distribute
static libraries to allow the user to relink. This allows closed source
apps and complies with the LGPL.

Of course if you simply don't like licenses longer than a page there's
not much anyone can do to help :-)

Duncan