[Haskell-cafe] what exactly does "deriving (Functor, Monad, MonadIO)" do?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue May 1 07:57:21 EDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 6:05 , Thomas Hartman wrote:

> Are there are any good examples of code written without this
> extension, alongside code condensed by using this extension. That
> would be helpful for understanding what's going on.

I think all this does is save you from having to write a bunch of
wrappers that unwrap the contained value, do something to it, and
rewrap the result.

--
brandon s. allbery  [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH