[Haskell-cafe] A wish for relaxed layout syntax

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Thu Mar 29 07:55:37 EDT 2007

On 2007 Mar 29, at 12:26 AM, Nicolas Frisby wrote:
> I don't think that
>
> aName =
>  [ x
>  , y
>  , z
>  ]
>
> can be beat for adaptability (i.e. adding/removing/reorganizing
> results or _especially_ renaming the declaration). Doesn't do so hot
> regarding vertical space though...

IMHO (just as IYHO above), this cannot be beat:

aName = [
         x ,
         y ,
         z ,
         ]

is perfect. though there are many variations on where 'x ,' is placed
relative to the opening square bracket. But... it requires that
trailing commas be treated uniformly in the syntax, which they aren't
right now. (The above would be legal Python code, so yes, my claim is
hypothetical only its application to Haskell.)

	--Doug