[Haskell-cafe] Monad/Functor Book

Creighton Hogg wchogg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:27:34 EDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Dave at haskell.org <Dave at haskell.org> wrote:

> Given the amount of material posted at haskell.org and elsewhere
> explaining IO, monads and functors, has anyone considered publishing
> a comprehensive book explaining those subjects?  (I am trying to
> read all the material online, but books are easier to read and don't
> require sitting in front of a computer to do so. Plus I can write in
> books :-). )

Well, how much in depth are you interested in getting?  I started reading
Categories for the Working Mathematician a couple of months ago, and while
it sometimes takes a bit of work it's a very good introduction.  The only
caution I have is that if you don't have that strong of a math background,
or hadn't done it in a few years (like myself), you may have to lookup a lot
of definitions in order to understand his examples.  Wikipedia usually
provides enough of a detailed description that you can get the point.