[Haskell-cafe] Why the Prelude must die

Andrzej Jaworski himself at poczta.nom.pl
Sun Mar 25 08:23:05 EDT 2007

>What I want to push is a 'mathematically sound' numeric prelude.  A proper
>numerical prelude should have bona fide mathematical obects like groups,
>rings, and fields underlying common numerical classes.

Why not Clifford algebra: to simplify mathematical physics, mechanics,
computer vision, improve neural networks etc.? That would probably be easier
with OCaml-style categorical machine architecture. But then why not go for
combinatorial stuff like matroids or graphs?
More mathematics in a programming language won't harm general applications
written in it. On the contrary, almost any human endeavor could be
mathematically structured and thus programmed. Present languages are
office-oriented for lack of mathematical knowledge and not any hidden
virtue.

Cheers,
-Andrzej